Isn't this what every first-time parent wants to know? Just when you think you have the hang of this parenting thing something changes and you feel like you're back at square one. Ugh. The babies have been on a really good schedule of eating, playing and sleeping since they were born (well mostly eating and sleeping at the beginning). We have been blessed that they have napped pretty well during the day and started sleeping through the night around 8 weeks. Trust me, I know what a huge blessing this is and I don't take any of it for granted. I kept waiting for something to change and this week it did.
Logan and Paige are both coming off of some kind of little stomach virus. They never ran a fever and they both continued to eat and play well, but they had a lot of yucky poop. Paige is still dealing with it and has a terrible tushy rash that is thankfully almost healed now. Poor baby girl. :-( It all started on Sunday when both of them decided that they didn't want to take their second morning nap. It just went downhill from there. I think we just had too many activities planned for the day. Church, birthday dinner and then our church small group. I don't know who was more exhausted and overwhelmed that evening, me and Chris or the babies! From then on it has been a constant struggle with naptime and bedtime. Tuesday was HORRIBLE!! Paige woke me up at 2:00 and when I finally got her back to sleep Logan decided to wake up at 4:30. Not fun. The day continued to be a complete disaster. I really wasn't sure if I would make it through the day until Chris got home.
Yesterday started off rocky with Logan waking me up at 4:00. Paige woke up at 4:30 and then Logan again at 5:00. The morning nap also started off rocky, but somehow they both managed to take their full naps yesterday and they both had a pretty good night last night. I have discovered that neither of them want to be rocked to sleep now. We used to be able to rock Paige in our arms for a little bit and put her down in her bed sleepy but still awake. Now we just have to put her down sleepy or a little awake rather than rocking her first. Logan is the same. He absolutely protests being held and put to sleep. Why isn't there some kind of warning when things are going to abruptly change? Like, "Hey mom, just wanted to let you know that I prefer not to be rocked to sleep anymore. K, thanks!" That would be nice!
So far, today hasn't been too bad. I think that maybe, just maybe, I might be seeing some light at the end of this tunnel. Logan woke up at 5:00 this morning but I was able to get him back to sleep within about twenty minutes and then they both slept until about 6:45. Woohoo! It would have been even better if I could have continued to sleep during that time but I was so sure that they would start screaming again and I just couldn't relax and get back to sleep. The morning nap went well today, but the second nap has been rough. I am determined to get the little man sleeping in his bed during naps. Paige does really well in her bed for naps, but Logan doesn't. Most of the time he ends up napping in his swing or in my arms. I know, I know...bad mommy. Don't judge, though. I have two babies and sometimes you just have to do whatever it takes to get them to just sleep for a little bit!!
Here's hoping that we have another good night of sleeping tonight and good naps tomorrow! The babies have their four month check-up tomorrow and I can't wait to see how much they weigh and how long they are now. Stay tuned for that update!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No judgement from me!! Doodlebug was up six times last night, and seven the night before. Inchworm was only up three times, thankfully. But I did finally put Doodle in the swing just so I could sleep a little too. I think with two babies - like you said - we just have to do whatever works!!
ReplyDeleteWe were in a better place with sleeping, but getting sick is what derailed us, too. I'll be praying that some better sleep patterns come both of our ways!!
Excited to read about how much they've grown - can't believe they're four months already!
No judgement here either. You gotta do what you gotta do!! I only have one and he hasn't napped a single day of his 7 months in his crib. Hoping the babies feel better soon and return to their schedule quickly!!
ReplyDeleteOh Courtney! We all wish had the instruction manual...even in good times! The stomach bug is probably what has upset their routine....when Maddie had a cold she threw her routine out the window and it took us about a week to get back into the groove. I can't even imagine how challenging it must be with two, but I promise you will get through it! It's been done millions and millions of times....WE too can do it! Keep your chin up and keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing how the babies are growing!
ReplyDeleteI remember saying to my husband in the beginning that the placenta should be the unique manual for the child attached to it.
ReplyDeleteOn one hand, you know that everything changes, so when things are rough, they will change. But the opposite is also true- you can't get too used to a good thing, because it too will change as well.
Hoping for good sleep for you all!