We have had quite the eventful week. Let me just start from the beginning. Monday afternoon a good friend texted me and said that she thought her water had broken and they were headed to the hospital. Yay! Her little baby girl was going to be about 3 weeks early, but we were all excited for her to be born! That evening Chris and I attended our infant CPR class at the hospital. While we were there I kept mentioning to Chris how tight my belly felt, but I dismissed it and didn't think too much of it at the time. We got home that evening and my belly just kept feeling tighter and also started feeling really sore. I was questioning whether or not I should call the on-call doctor. I decided to first call my sister and get her input. She reminded me that I am pregnant with twins and should never feel silly about calling the doctor. So I hung up with her and called the answering service to have the doctor paged. She promptly called me back, I described to her what I was feeling and she said that it could definitely be pre-term labor. WHAT!? Yikes! She told me to empty my bladder, get some water and go lay down in bed to see if I could get comfortable and get to sleep. She said that if it didn't get better or if it got any worse to go straight to the hospital.
Let's skip ahead to about midnight. I had manged to doze off for maybe 30-45 minutes and then woke up to horrible pains on my right side. They didn't come and go. It was just a constant pain. I got out of bed to make a trip to the bathroom and quickly hunched over in pain. It was much worse when I stood up. Needless to say I woke Chris up and told him that we needed to go to the hospital. We quickly got dressed and were out the door within 10 minutes of me waking him. It took us only 20 minutes to get to the hospital and we headed straight up to labor and delivery to check in at registration. After what seemed like an eternity the registration lady walked us down the hall to an antepartum room, gave me my gown to change into and then the nurse came in and took over. After I changed and was in bed she hooked each baby up to a monitor and then also put a monitor on to keep close tabs on any contractions. Both babies heart rates were great and at first she was only picking up on some uterine irritability. The next time she came in she checked the monitor again and it had picked up a few contractions. The on-call doctor had her give me a shot of Terbuta.line to calm down my uterus. The nurse also checked my cervix and thankfully it was closed and did not show any signs of me being in labor. We were then left in the room to wait for my doctor to make her rounds later that morning (this was about 2:00 AM Tuesday morning now) and she told us to try and get some rest. Um, sure.
I was not able to sleep at all and my doctor finally came by around 8:30 that morning. I was so glad to see her because I had to wait for her before they would allow me to order breakfast. I hadn't eaten in over 14 hours and I was STARVING! She said that my monitoring strip looked good, my cervix looked good and the babies heart rates were good. She was very reassured by all of this and said that I wasn't in pre-term labor, but that it was just one of those things. My uterus was just irritated by these two babies it is currently housing. She allowed me to order breakfast and said I could go home after that. She told me to stay home the rest of the week and rest and that I could return to work on Monday. Yay! Meanwhile, I had learned via Face.book that my friend's little girl had made her grand debut at about 3:30 that morning. I was so excited for them! Apparently our babies were just throwing a party for their new friend they can't wait to meet and this irritated my uterus!
Terbu.taline is not a nice drug. I felt horrible all Tuesday night and all of Wednesday. Thursday I finally felt much better, but I had noticed that the babies were not moving around near as much as they had been. So again I started to worry. I finally decided to call the nurse at my doctor's office Friday morning and she had me come in for an ultrasound just to make sure that everything was ok. Thankfully both babies were fine and they've been moving and grooving like normal since Friday afternoon. I think the Terbu.taline must have affected them too. Poor things.
I know this has been a lengthy post but I also use this blog as a way to record this pregnancy and I wanted to write all this down before I forgot. Thank you to our sweet family and friends who prayed for us and these babies this week. Praise God that it all turned out ok and that these little ones are still baking! It just reminds us that everyday with these babies is a miracle and we have to leave it in God's hands and be reassured that He is in control and holding these babies in His hands. My sweet friend, Laura, wrote something in an email to me at the beginning of this pregnancy when we were told the babies might be sharing a placenta (they're not, by the way). I had emailed her to ask for prayers for the babies and she reminded me that God was not surprised by anything that the doctor had discussed with us that day. She also reminded me that God loves these babies more than we ever could. I love that! I think about that truth everytime I get scared or worried during this pregnancy and it helps to calm me down.
I know I owe several of you a recent belly pic. I promise I'll try to post one tomorrow! Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend!










Oh Courtney, thankfully it's all ok!! you did right calling the doctor on both occasions, never stay with the anxiety that something may be wrong! Thinking of you, Fran
ReplyDeleteWhew! So glad everything is okay now....I've been checking your blog for updates, but wasn't expecting one of this sort. There should be a "What to expect when you're expecting...twins"...maybe there is one? But at least you guys didn't hesitate going to the hospital. Keep those babies baking and we'll be praying for you!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear everything was okay...I got a little worried with Chris' hospital picture on FB the other night! We will be continually praying for y'all!
ReplyDeleteWow, what an experience. Thank goodness everything was okay. I will continue to pray for you that these little peanuts wait to make their debut until everything is okay. Thanks for posting!!
ReplyDeletexoxoxo
~Michelle
Sorry about all the trouble and worries but I'm so glad to hear everything is fine! Keep baking those babies, you're doing a great job! Take care!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update Courtney! So glad all is well with the babies!! Please keep resting and taking ti easy!! I pray for you every day! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI have totally been there, the beginning of 3rd tri and have a scare. Yikes! So glad the babes and you are doing well. When I was in labor, I went from a 4-8 in less than 5 minutes and the trauma freaked Logan out and his heart rate dropped so badly that they gave me the same drug to stop my contrax so he could have time to rest. I had an epi, but I do remember feeling really weird, itchy and shaky from it.
ReplyDelete